Friday, May 17, 2013

Running on Empty

Running on Empty
            I have to tell you, we just love our new digs!  Many of you have stopped by the new church building at Hampton Park to visit and I have loved watching the expressions on our faces as we see the sanctuary and building for the first time.  It really is breathtaking!  I have said many times this week, every morning is like Christmas!  When we get to church, there is a new sign, new sod, and multiple other new things!  It is an exciting time.
            I will tell you one challenge, however.  We have learned that here in our Hampton Park area, we have limited and struggling cell phone service.  The signal is typically very weak throughout our building.  On one hand, maybe this is a good thing.  There will not be many cell phone or text message interruptions in worship!
            But on the other hand, cell phones spend the whole day trying to find a signal.  As a result, they go through the battery power quickly.  Now, if I don’t plug in the phone at night, I wake up with that big red mark on the phone, reminding me that the phone is just about out of power.  So, I am finding myself beginning the day without much power in my phone.
            It is not hard to just plug the phone in and recharge it.  But it also dawns on me that many of us, as we get ready to leave the house in the morning, may feel like the dwindling charge on the phone.  There is a full day in front of us, and it is early in the day and I am not sure I have the power to meet the demands in front of me.
            This weekend, we are going to be looking once again at the story of Pentecost.  Sure enough, at 9:00 in the morning, power came down upon the people of the church.  They were just about out of gas.  Peter had been ready to quit, and go back to fishing.  The disciples had just replaced Judas.  But on that day, power came upon each of them from above, and suddenly, this group of very ordinary people could face a challenging day and circumstance, and do extraordinary things.  Power came and the world has never been the same since.
            If you are like me, you have many days where power is needed but the tank is on empty.  Let’s talk some more about where and how we can find this Pentecost power.  See you in worship, on this last full weekend of worship in our Woodlake Campus!
In Christ,
Pastor Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment