Friday, July 19, 2013

You Are Making a Difference!


            Usually, when I walk into the church in the morning, things are a bit quiet.  I try to get here early, have a cup of coffee, and catch up on a few things before the day really gets going.
            Not this morning.  I could hardly get in the front doors.  There were two hundred people (mostly children) in our gathering space!   They were all seated having breakfast and laughing (very loudly) together.  You might know that we sponsored a gathering of United Methodist children from around Virginia that is called “Helping Hands”.  Our own Beth Christian has been the key sponsor of this event for several years.
            But every year we have been cramped in tiny spaces or in multiple buildings.  Not this morning!  We had room!  All the children slept on the floors and in classrooms and other places, but compared to previous years, it was like being at the Hilton.




            After I walked in, all the kids went running outside to have their picture taken and I was making my way back down the temporarily empty halls.  I found myself offering a prayer of thanksgiving to God for this beautiful new space, but also offering a prayer of thanksgiving for all of you.  All the prayers, the planning, the meetings, and the sacrificial giving, by God’s grace, built this space.  And now, hundreds of children are gathered here in worship, singing, going out in mission, and laughing.

 
 
           What really started my thoughts this morning was the first person I saw when I walked in the door.  Her name is Linda and she is a pastor of a United Methodist Church in Norfolk.  She brought several children from her church with her and they all slept on the floor of one of our classrooms last night.  She had the biggest and most generous smile on her face.  She looked at me and over and over again said thank you.  She thanked me for our church offering up this space to them and opening our doors.  She said that her time here had really inspired her as they were about to build some new spaces at here church.  I told her some of the stories behind the window and altar furniture and she was moved.  She also said that she hoped to sponsor a Helping Hands event in her church soon.  She was so appreciative of us and her encouragement inspired me to pass this on to you.

            All this is to say that we have finished the many services of dedication, consecration, moving, walking, and opening.  This week, we really put this new building to work, as we have already done with Bible School and many other events in our short time here.  But in it all was a reminder of what God has done for us and through us.  I just wanted to pass along the way that your efforts are working so powerfully, and inspiring others who come in our spaces.  I can’t thank you enough for building and offering this church!

Love in Christ,

Pastor Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment