Monday, September 3, 2012

A Week in the Desert Southwest

What an amazing week!  Sorry to be a little late in updating….a bit challenging to find good internet in the Grand Canyon!
It began last weekend in Austin Texas, where I had the chance to meet and visit with several amazing folks.  I spoke with Leonard Woods, Robbie Ausley, Tom Ausley, and Brooks Shuelte.  Leonard is a leader in his African American church, and serves as an attorney in Austin.  Robbie and Tom are leaders in their downtown church, located literally next door to the capitol building.  The church is working hard to make sure everyone is included and I received a pretty thorough orientation to Texas politics!  I enjoyed meeting many folks in Austin, and Robbie and Tom were incredible Sunday morning hosts.  I would show you some pictures except I had some Austin camera trouble.

On Sunday afternoon, I left Austin for San Antonio.  I had the chance to visit with multiple folks there and heard about many different ministries.  I met Janie Rose Alejandro, who has started a new ministry for young Hispanic students.  Many of the children had no place to go after school as the parents were both working and dealing with poverty.  The children would go to the library but the library couldn’t handle them anymore.  Janie responded, hooked in her church, and as a result, has offered a safe place for many children and has the applause of her community.  Her infectious smile and laughter have made such a difference. 
Then, Denise Barker told me the story of how she stared Magdalena House, a ministry for abused women, and Colonel Breck Lebegue told me of a ministry he has worked to begin for homeless women veterans.
I also met Kevin Morarity. 

 Kevin is the CEO of Methodist Healthcare Ministries, an organization that in conjunction with the local hospital, offers multiple United Methodist healthcare ministries throughout Southern Texas.  When he arrived, they had a budget of 5 million.  Now, they are able to disburse 72 million dollars every year in much needed healthcare for the poor, and it is done through the Methodist connection.  Much of this occurred through his vision, but he was not always a part of the church.
Many years ago, Kevin was working for the Peace Corps in Liberia.  He wasn’t much of a church person, but one day, he was burning trash with what he assumed was kerosene in a remote village.  Someone had mistakenly placed gasoline in the container.  As a result, the fire flashed all over him, burning him severely.  The Methodists had the only hospital, and this Methodist mission in the middle of Liberia took care of him.  That was the beginning of his journey back to the church that now results in 72 million dollars of ministry each year to those in Southern Texas who are living in poverty.  It is incredible to listen to how God works, bringing people full circle.  His story is a reminder of how powerful people’s stories are!
And this is my new friend Conrado Soltero. 



Conrado is 82 years old, and has served as a United Methodist pastor for the last 50 plus years.  He was recently called out of retirement to serve a struggling church in El Paso.  Conrado spent a day with me, introducing me to the many Hispanic ministries there in El Paso, and took me to the mountain, to show me the lights of Juarez Mexico and El Paso.  What fascinating stories rose up in this little church.
Finally, this weekend, my whole family joined me in the Grand Canyon.  We had a day in Sedona Arizona, including a “Pink Jeep Tour” that was just phenomenal.  We just finished a 6 mile hike today up and down the canyon.  The scenery is simply phenomenal here.  Lynn and I are celebrating the views, but also keep telling each other how nice it is to have all seven of us together!  Needless to say, in our stage in life, that just doesn’t happen very often!






Today I head off to Las Vegas!  I wish I could tell you all the stories that I have seen and heard here, but I hope this give you an idea.  Miss all of you!  Pete


No comments:

Post a Comment