Friday, August 24, 2012

Greetings from Austin Texas!

This afternoon, I arrived in Austin, Texas after an incredible series of meetings all around the Gulf Coast.  
It began with time in Savannah and a group from Asbury Memorial Church.  Asbury is a downtown congregation that is devoted to reaching those who live on the fringe of religion.  They minister to many folks who have questions, who are looking for a place to call home.  A substantial part of their ministry is devoted to working with and supporting the gay and lesbian population of Savannah.  I had scheduled a visit there, and expected to meet with one or two folks.  When the congregation found out about my trip, fifteen people showed up to spend the afternoon with me, each telling me their story.  Here is their picture.

It was simply phenomenal.  There were many wounds but they had found a community that they called home which was a source of healing to them all.  They were incredibly kind, open, and generous with their time and with me.  I felt honored to have some time with them.
Last Sunday, I visited with Beach United Methodist Church in Jacksonville Beach Florida.  After a rousing 11:22 service, we all walked to the beach where 70 people were to be baptized.   Just as they were about to begin, a huge storm came up and they had to postpone.  I was still able to have some incredible conversations with the folks. 


On Tuesday, I spent some time at a church near Pensacola Florida.  I visited with several folks, but meet April Fisher.


 Her story is long but let me just briefly say that she came from horrendous circumstances.  For an hour she told me a story that made me constantly make sure my mouth was shut.  But then, after a miraculous intervention from the Lord, she found hope and life.  Now, she is a successful mother and student in Disciple Bible study.

Yesterday, after crossing the Mississippi.....


I spent some time with the gracious people of St. Lukes UMC in Shreveport Lousiana through the gracious hospitality of Lynn's sister and brother in law, Frank and Mary Hughes.
Believe me, there are many more stories to tell….wish I had time to tell them all.  I miss all the folks at Woodlake and hope and pray you are doing well!
P.S....here is a deep theological/kingdom question to ponder.  I ran across this sign last week.  Would you really want this in front of your church?????



1 comment:

  1. It was a pleasure to meet with you at Asbury Memorial UMC in Savannah. I learned so many things from other congregants' stories. We truly have a unique and diverse congregation.

    Mary Prokop

    ReplyDelete